This award recognizes and honors an individual, organization or institution who demonstrates that access to justice should offer a variety of approaches and options for dispute resolution within the judicial system. Citizens should be empowered to find satisfactory solutions to their problems utilizing a wider menu of choices. The concept of such a menu emphasizes the initiatives and projects that are invaluable in helping to identify, resolve legal challenges and improve access to social, economic and environmental justice. These initiatives also shape new and humane approach to equitable justice in Africa while defending and upholding the rights of those at the bottom rung of the economic pyramid in order to pull humanity out of the mud of violence, war and conflict.
The award recognizes and honours an individual, organization or institution that is making a positive and meaningful contribution to justice reform and access to justice by:
- Improving access to social, economic and environmental justice;
- Generating initiatives and projects that are invaluable in helping to identify and resolve legal challenges and access to justice;
- Championing justice initiatives which pull humanity out of the mud of violence, war and conflict;
- Shaping a new and humane approach to the uppermost task of achieving equitable justice in Africa in our time;
- Defending the legal rights of those at the bottom rung of the economic pyramid.